01 02 03 400 Things: Easy, Healthy Baby Food 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Easy, Healthy Baby Food

34 Let me share my method for making my own baby food. I started making this with my third child.

What you need:

A good blender, a VitaMix, or a Magic Bullet
fresh fruits and vegetables
meats (if you choose)
rice cereal
ice cube trays

If you have a VitaMix, you can do much more than I do here, but even a good blender will go a long way.

Mix up the ingredients you like in any combination you choose (see a couple of my recipes below) and blend til smooth. Spoon mixture into ice cube trays and freeze (4-6 hours). Pop food cubes into ziploc bags and store in the freezer. Viola! You've got homemade baby food from fresh ingredients!






Carrots & Apples:
1 cup applesauce
1 cup soft-cooked carrots

Mix until smooth.

Apples & Chicken
1 cup applesauce
1 cup cooked, chopped chicken breast (I used leftovers)

Mix until smooth.

Cereal
1/2 cup applesauce
1/2 banana
1/2 cup infant rice cereal
rice milk

Combine applesauce, banana, and cereal. Add enough milk to make a smooth cereal. Blend well.

Pumpkin Pie
1 cup soft-cooked pumpkin
dash pumpkin pie spice
1/2 cup soft-cooked sweet potatoes

Blend until smooth. You can add a sweetener if you like, but the sweet potatoes will add some sweetness for you.

These are just some of the creations I came up with. You can get really creative with these! And, this is a great way to use up leftovers.

Did I mention it's cheap?

If you like this, you might like my article on Slow Cooking.

Labels: ,

35 36 37 38