01 02 03 400 Things: I'm an Introvert So You Should Coddle Me 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

I'm an Introvert So You Should Coddle Me

34

I happen to be one of those introverts you read about online. You know the articles with all the complicated descriptions of our personality quirks and instructions for special handling?

It’s become trendy to embrace the negative traits of the introverted personality types, and to beg the world to create safe spaces for us.



Oh, the traits are real enough. I should know. I crave quiet. I dread small talk. I avoid phone calls and prefer text messages. I don’t enjoy large parties. I do prefer small groups with deep conversation. I'd rather not leave my house. I get physically drained by too much socializing.  (Maybe it’s because I was homeschooled? Haha!)

Source


But my life and my actions should not be determined by pop psychology. As a Christian, my actions (and my thoughts) are guided by God’s word. (Do you notice in that last paragraph how many "I's" there are?)

At least 10 times in Scripture we are commanded to “love your neighbor as yourself.” (Matthew 22:39)

“By their fruits ye shall know them.” Matthew 7:20

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance..."– Galations 5:22-23
“Love suffers long, and is kind…” 1 Corinthians 13:4
Love is not selfish, or busy, or “pretending to be busy.” Love does not require “me time” or “safe spaces.” Love allows us to be in uncomfortable situations because we do not focus on our own feelings or desires, but instead, lean on God’s grace.
Loving others means that we die to ourselves. We ignore the sinful nature that drives our impulses and we walk in the Fruit of the Spirit.
I know that God created me (and all the other introverts) as we are, and can use our traits for His purpose. It’s the same with those crazy extroverts! God gave them the opposite traits and uses them in different ways. I mean, some of the sweetest, friendliest people I know are the extroverts who love to hug, talk, laugh, and have fun with everyone they know. That’s a true gift!

So, while I am definitely an introvert and still prefer quiet introspection, I know that God regularly asks me to step out of my comfort zone and gives me the strength and grace and kindness to do so. And I know that eventually, I’ll have that quiet rest that I desire. 

Shared at:
I Choose Joy!

Labels:

35 36 37 38