01 02 03 400 Things: Why You Need to Hang Your Clothes Out to Dry 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Why You Need to Hang Your Clothes Out to Dry

34

Modern technology is oh-so-convenient. I think my favorite modern invention of all time is air conditioning. I don't know how our foremothers lived without it, especially in the south. Whew! But there are many things about the old-fashioned, simpler lifestyle that are so much better for us than the modern way. Home-cooked meals, garden-fresh veggies, and clotheslines.


So, what's so great about clotheslines? I'll tell you several things, but my #1 reason for hanging out laundry is for the mini-break in my day that it affords me.

A relaxing break - When I'm standing out in the grass, hanging the laundry on the line, I'm forced to be still, be quiet, and think. I can hear the birds sing. I can smell the breeze. Even if I'm so busy inside with my children and homemaking, this simple task forces me to get outside for a few minutes when I might not otherwise make the time.


Better for whites - The sun is a whitener and brightener. It naturally bleaches your linens, socks, and other whites. And all without the chemicals. Moms who use cloth diapers swear by line drying.


Clothes last longer - Do you know why your dryer has a lint trap? Because your clothes slowly wear down with each cycle in the dryer. The lint you throw away is a little bit of your jeans, tops, and jammies. Hanging the clothes out to dry means no lint!

Electric bill is lower - There are definitely monetary benefits to avoiding the dryer. It heats the house and uses electricity. According to this chart, it costs .57 per load to dry laundry. In our family of 7, that's a minimum of 7.98 per week, and typically much higher. What does it cost in your home?

Sunshine is medicine - If you're hanging out laundry, chances are the sun is shining. Standing in the sun for 10-20 minutes is good for you in SO many ways:


Did you know the best source of Vitamin D is the sun? According to the Vitamin D Council:
The most natural way to get vitamin D is by exposing your bare skin to sunlight (ultraviolet B rays). This can happen very quickly, particularly in the summer. You don’t need to tan or burn your skin to get vitamin D. You only need to expose your skin for around half the time it takes for your skin to turn pink and begin to burn. How much vitamin D is produced from sunlight depends on the time of day, where you live in the world and the color of your skin. The more skin you expose the more vitamin D is produced.


You don't need me to tell you that sunshine and fresh air make you feel good. But getting your daily dose while doing laundry and saving money is a win-win-win!

If you have never used a clothesline, now is a good time to start. Here's a great post on beginner tips. I do all of these things, except for the folding table outside. I love that idea!

No matter the size of your space, there is a clothesline for you:


Source

Source
Of course, my favorite will always be this:

My quilts on my clothesline : )

Happy Laundry Day!

Shared at:
JENerally Informed


Smart Mom Smart Ideas



Labels: ,

35 36 37 38