01 02 03 400 Things: Time 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Time

34
Today my oldest child, Claudia, tuns 14. Every birthday that comes just impresses on me how quickly time flies. When she turned 10, I cried. Now fourteen seems just days away from adulthood!


I remember the first time I read These Happy Golden Years by Laura Ingalls Wilder. It was the end of her series before she married Almanzo. At the end, she describes her mixed emotions, going between excitement and love for her new husband-to-be, but deep sadness at leaving her Ma and Pa (which is the way it should be!). On the night before her wedding, she sat on the front porch of their home listening to Pa play all the favorite family songs on his fiddle. This one, Golden Years, put a lump in her throat.


It came to my mind this week as I contemplated how quickly children grow up, and how little time we have with them at home.


Golden years are passing by,
Happy, happy golden years,
Passing on the wings of time,
These happy golden years.
Call them back as they go by,
Sweet their memories are,
Oh, improve them as they fly,
These happy golden years.

Chorus:
Golden years, golden years
Happy golden years
Oh, improve them as they fly
These Happy Golden Years


And then last week, my aunt posted this Dr. Seuss quote in an email when she described sort of the same feeling about her daughter:


“How did it get so late so soon? Its night before its afternoon. December is here before its June. My goodness how the time has flewn. How did it get so late so soon?”

Did you ever think Dr. Seuss could bring tears to your eyes?


So, as I celebrate my oldest turning into a young lady, I will keep a box of tissues handy.


It's a good thing there are other children to raise, and a baby that has yet to arrive!
Photobucket Share



Photobucket

Labels:

35 36 37 38