01 02 03 400 Things: The Ten - Minute Warning 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

The Ten - Minute Warning

34
If you have ever tried to go somewhere with your family, then you probably recognize the following scenario:

We should be pulling out of the driveway in, like, 2 minutes but the baby isn't dressed yet. Mom still needs her make-up. Big sister is putting the finishing touches on her outfit, while the other kids hide in a homemade tent in their church clothes.

"Time to go!" Mom hollers. "Load up!"

Mom grabs the make-up bag. Big sister grabs baby and finds the nearest clean shirt to dress him in. Dad realizes the cats haven't been fed. It's 30 degrees outside and the car hasn't been warmed up yet.

On the way out the door, the conversation sounds something like this:

"Where's the diaper bag?"

"Did you brush your teeth?"

"Who moved my purse?"

"Ewww! I just stepped in banana!"

If you are tired of living this way, you've come to the right place. After 13 years and 4 kids, I finally came up with such a simple plan I felt like slapping myself silly for not thinking of it sooner: The Ten Minute Warning.

Now, when we have to go somewhere as a family, I set an alarm for 10 minutes before we are actually supposed to be in the car. I use my cell phone alarm and place it in the living room where everyone will hear it. When that alarm goes off, it's time to start the car, gather our things, turn off lights, put on shoes, and head to the car.

This has made a world of difference for us, and MOST of the time we go where we need to go and are organized and on time.

Works for me!



Share

Labels:

35 36 37 38