01 02 03 400 Things: Our Homeschool Library 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Our Homeschool Library

34 We have a lot of books at our house. I mean, a LOT. My husband and I are both avid readers, and we have 4 children who either love to read or 'look at' books. So we have built quite a collection!

For about 5 years I've been dreaming of a way to categorize and organize the school/children's books so that I could easily find something when I needed it. During the blog hop hosted by My3Boybarians, I happened onto a blog featuring the solution I was searching for: labels! (I wish I could remember which blog it was, but for now, it remains nameless.)

It is so simple! Use those little round colored-sticker-dots and assign one color per category. In the photo below, light green is for Math and Numbers books, and dark green is for anything Science.


In this photo, red is history, and orange is biography.



Dark blue is general readers and literature.


Other categories are as follows: pink for Art, Craft, and other How-To books; purple is for Bible Stories and Devotions; light blue is for Social Studies; and yellow is for Picture Books and Everything Else.
In order to keep the labels on the books, I put clear packing tape over each one. While I had the packing tape out, I repaired any books with torn or ragged bindings.
In some categories, I plan to expand a little. For American history, I will add a U.S. flag sticker to the spine. For Christmas-related books, I will try to find little Christmas tree stickers. For Thanksgiving, I will add a pumpkin or fall leaf. You get the idea.
One of the main reasons I was drawn to this particular organizational method is that it's visual. It will be easy for everyone in our house (except the baby, of course) to put books back on the shelf where they go. That's huge!
As I was working on this project, I noticed books that hadn't been looked at in quite awhile. So I plan to implement something I heard from Mary Hood several years ago. She suggested the "throw it on the couch" method for enticing your children to pick up books they've forgotten about or may not have shown an interest in. If books are lying around, kids will pick them up. I've done this in the past, and IT WORKS!
Now, if I can only convince my husband to let me put stickers on his books . . .
You can read more about our reading habits here. And if you like to read, you'll enjoy my other blog, Prairie Sense, based on the writings of Laura Ingalls Wilder.

Labels: ,

35 36 37 38