01 02 03 400 Things: The one that DIDN'T get away 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

The one that DIDN'T get away

34 Making quilts is something I LOVE to do, and don't get much time to work on right now. I have two very inquisitive boys, 1 and 3, who like to "help" when I get out the sewing machine. As my friend Tiffany knows, my sewing time is becoming very scarce. But, I do manage to sneak in a quilt here and there.

Let me share a funny story with you.

Earlier this year, my cousin Liberty was raising money for her mission trip to Guatemala. Her mom asked me if I'd make a quilt for Liberty to raffle as a fundraiser. Of course I said YES! It had to be completed in a short amount of time, so I picked a fairly quick-sewing pattern and got started.

While I was working on it, Liberty began selling tickets. I bought 6 tickets for fun, secretly hoping to win the quilt back, but knowing I was supporting a good cause anyway.

Several weeks later, our church held a silent auction and dinner for all the kids raising money for camp and mission trips. This would be the night the winner was announced!

At the very end of the evening, Liberty made the announcement that the drawing was near. Just minutes before, unbeknownst to me, my husband purchased one ticket for me. He told Liberty it would be fun for me to win the quilt that I had made.

At this point, you've probably guessed: I WON! Actually, not me, but my husband's ticket! It was so unbelievable that I jumped and screamed (something I don't normally do in the presence of anyone)!

So, here it is:



It's an Irish Chain in navy blue and white.


The really fun thing is that I've made this same pattern in the same colors before. It was a Christmas gift to my great-great-aunt Norma. She went into a nursing home this year, so my grandmother gave the quilt back to me.
Now I have two! Perfect for my 2 little boys to cover up with at night!
You can read about Liberty's mission trip on her blog, Freedom to Speak.
See some other other quilts I've made for friends and family.

Labels:

35 36 37 38