01 02 03 400 Things: Feeling Green 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Feeling Green

34

Following is a post I wrote over a year ago on my old blog. It is very fitting in July 2009 when our Congress is considering legislating our "carbon footprints." Lawmakers are actually planning to tax our "emissions" and create an entirely new currency, called carbon credits. It is a very dangerous bill. Here are a few highlights:

My previous article:

"Where were you when I laid the earth's foundation? Tell me if you understand. Who marked off its dimensions? Surely you know! Who stretched a measuring line across it? On what were its footings set, or who laid its cornerstone - while the morning stars sang together and all the angels shouted for joy?" Job 38:4-7


I am not an environmentalist. I don't believe in global warming. I do think we should be good stewards of the earth we have been given, but I think the environmental movement is going overboard.


I am getting fed up to here with the Green Movement. There's nothing wrong with conserving energy, or using biodegradable paper products, or recycling. What's getting old is the government getting involved and mandating what kind of light bulbs we can use, or worse, where our oil comes from.


I'm not a scientist, a theologian, or a meteorologist. But (as Glenn Beck says) I am a thinker. And I think God knows what's going on down here, and He can handle it. Are we as humans so arrogant to believe that our choice of light bulbs can save the planet? Did the Creator make an earth that can't withstand our modern technology? Didn't the God who "was, and is, and is to come" see into the future and know what kind of cars we'd drive?


Consider God's answers to Job so many centuries ago, when Job dared to question God's ways. I think His answers are fitting to us today:


"Who shut up the seas behind doors when it burst forth from the womb, when I made the clouds its garment and wrapped it in thick darkness? When I fixed limits for it and set its doors and bars in place, when I said ' This far you may come and no farther; here is where your proud waves halt?' Have you ever given orders to the morning or shown the dawn its place, that it might take the earth by the edges and shake the wicked out of it?" Job 38:8-12


We have the audacity to believe that it is humans that control the temperature and the weather; that hurricanes are somehow our fault. Fortunately for us, God humors us:


Have you entered the storehouses of the snow or seen the storehouses of the hail, which I reserve for times of trouble, for days of war and battle? What is the way to the abode of light? And where does the darkness reside? Can you take them to their places? Do you know the paths to their dwellings? Surely you know, for you were already born! You have lived so many years! What is the way to the place where the lightning is dispersed, or the place where east winds are scattered over the earth? Who cuts a channel for the torrents of rain, and a path for the thunderstorm, to water a land where no man lives, a desert with no one in it, to satisfy a desolate wasteland and make it sprout with grass? Does the rain have a father? Who fathers the drops of dew? From whose womb comes the ice? Who gives birth to the frost from the heavens when the waters become hard as stone, when the surface of the deep is frozen?" Job 38:19, 24-30


It's clear that all weather phenomena comes straight from the hand of God. It is not up to us.


"Can you raise your voice to the clouds and cover yourself with a flood of water? Do you send the lightning bolts on their way? Do they report to you, 'Here we are?' Who endowed the heart with wisdom or gave understanding to the mind? Who has the wisdom to count the clouds? Who can tip over the water jars of the heavens when the dust becomes hard and the clods of earth stick together? Job 38:34-38


It is a dangerous thing when people believe they have as much power as God. He still determines the seasons, the waves, the rain, the snow, the heat, and the cold. We don't.
Now, you may be thinking that I live an irresponsible, air-polluting, trash-throwing, un-green lifestyle. I actually do have an interest in solar energy, drilling a well for my own water, organic gardening, and other so-called "green" living ideas. But I want to be free to choose for myself and my family.


Finally, I will make a prediction. "Going Green" will be a fad that passes in my lifetime. I think people will eventually start to think for themselves, and will see that it's just the latest bandwagon, and they will decide to get off.


I hope that when you deal with current issues you will be able to think them through and form an opinion, instead of getting opinions from the evening news or your favorite Hollywood celebrity.

Labels: ,

35 36 37 38