01 02 03 400 Things: In His Presence, Part 2 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

In His Presence, Part 2

34

As I wrote my last post, I had to stop before I was ready, because I have struggled with how to remain in God's presence on a daily, or hourly, basis. I live in a very small house with my husband and four children. There is very little chance to escape to a quiet place. My husband and I stay up pretty late in order to have any quiet time together.

I asked God to show me how I could be in His presence continually. The answer came to me as I was walking one afternoon. It was in Psalm 1, which I memorized as a teenager in our homeschool (thank you, Mom!).

Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of the scornful. The notes in my John MacArthur Study Bible say this: " This man is first described as one who avoids such associations as these which exemplify sin's sequential downward drag."

But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and in his law he meditates day and night. He shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water which bring forth fruit in its season. His leaf shall not wither, and whatever he does will prosper. The notes go on to say: "The spiritually happy man is characterized by the consistent contemplation and internalization of God's Word for ethical direction and obedience."

In my current situation, I don't get a lot of time alone to spend in quiet prayer and meditation. But I can mediate on God's Word when I'm folding laundry, sing praise songs while I'm washing dishes or cooking meals, or pray as I take my walks. I can "meditate day and night." I do not want my leaves to wither. And I certainly want the things I put my hand to to be prosperous, like managing a home, raising children, instructing them in God's Word, strengthening my marriage, planning for the future, and more.

There will come a day when all I have is quiet time. I will make the most of it when it comes. But for now, I will snatch my times of meditation when they come.

P.S. Teach your children (and yourself!) to memorize scripture. It is a lifesaver in times of need. The words you memorize will stick with you. My mom had us memorize a different chapter of scripture each month in our homeschool, and I am so thankful for this. We also learned lots of hymns, and in my opinion, they come in 2nd for worthwhile memorization. When you have your meditation times, you'll have a nice selection of passages to choose from!

Labels: ,

35 36 37 38