01 02 03 400 Things: Children are a blessing 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Children are a blessing

34

I know this phrase is so easily used in happy times, when children are cute and obedient, and they haven't gotten their clothes dirty today, and they hug and kiss mommy and don't talk back. But, from the moment they begin life, through sweet infanthood, terrible twos, rambunctious childhood, the trying teen years, and beyond, they truly are a blessing.

Last year I read a great book entitled Mother by Kathleen Norris. It was wonderful. I found many things worth underlining in it, but I'd like to share one quote specifically:

"She doesn't strain and chafe to express herself through the medium of poetry or music or the stage, but she puts her whole splendid philosiphy into her nursery - launches little bodies and minds that have their first growth cleanly and purely about her knees...Why, what good is learning, or elegance of manner, or painfully acquired fitness of speech and taste and point of view, if you are not going to distill it into the growing plants, the only real hope we have in the world?"

I can think of no better example of this ongoing sentiment than that displayed by the example of my parents. They only have two children, my sister and I. But they have always encouraged us to let our families grow as big as we pleased, never once encouraging us to stop having children because it was too expensive or stressful or burdensome. In a society where the mention of more than 2 children in one family is met with looks of disapproval, disbelief, or worse, it is a great source of joy to know that my children are a blessing to their grandparents.

Now my parents have 10 grandkids. They love each and every one of them, and would gladly welcome more. Here they are at Christmas with all 10.



Hug your kids today, and thank God for each one He has given you.


Labels: ,

35 36 37 38